Skip to Main Content

Dogs Stung By Bees: What Do I Need to Do?

Dogs Stung By Bees: What Do I Need to Do?

If your furry friend gets stung by a bee, it's crucial to prevent any allergic reactions. Our veterinarians in Fort Pierce provide useful tips on how to care for your dog in case of a bee sting.

Signs of a Dog's Bee Sting

The most obvious symptoms to watch out for are drooling, swelling, excessive licking, and pawing at a specific area. It may also be safe to assume a bee sting is a cause if your dog is digging around in a flower bush and crying out.

The most common spots for bee stings on dogs include the pads of the feet, the mouth, and the face.

What to Do if Your Dog Has Been Stung By a Bee

After a sting, monitor your dog for an allergic reaction. In the meantime, call your regular vet to let them know what happened and ask if they'd like you to bring your dog in.

Watch Your Dog for an Allergic Reaction

Immediately following a bee sting, the most important thing to do is watch for an allergic reaction. Dogs who have been stung before or who are stung by multiple bees at once time are more likely to have an allergic reaction.

It's crucial to keep an eye on your pet's breathing if the sting site swells noticeably, especially if it's on the neck or face. Take your dog to an emergency vet right away if you suspect that she isn't breathing enough or that she is beginning to gasp or wheeze.

If your dog vomits within 5-10 minutes after being stung or has increasingly pale gums, it may indicate anaphylactic shock. In such a case, you need to seek immediate medical attention from an emergency vet.

Keep a close watch on your dog for other dangerous signs of an allergic reaction, such as significant drooling, agitation, or sudden aggression.

How to Comfort Your Dog After a Bee Sting

If your dog shows no signs of an allergic reaction after 30 minutes to an hour, you can focus on making them more comfortable.

Your veterinarian may have already advised you to use over-the-counter medications such as antihistamines (e.g., Benadryl), but make sure to follow the recommended dosage for your dog.

The sting area will likely be sensitive and swollen for most dogs. If you can see the sting site and remove the stinger easily with tweezers, do so immediately to ease pain and prevent the venom from spreading.

After a sting, most dogs should start feeling better within a few hours and return to normal within a day or two. In the meantime, applying a damp towel to the sting site can reduce swelling and inflammation.

Has your dog been stung by a bee? Contact our Fort Pierce vets right away to make sure your pup is healthy.

New Patients Welcome

Sunrise City Animal Hospital is accepting new patients! Our experienced vets are passionate about the health of Fort Pierce companion animals. Get in touch today to book your pet's first appointment.

Contact Us

(772) 466-3441 Contact